UK startup company 4NEW is generating electricity from waste to power plants to drive an onsite crypto mining farm. The company is raising funds by issuing KWATT tokens. 4NEW said it has raised more than $43 million USD in its initial coin offering (ICO), exceeding its soft cap.
According to a press release Friday, 4NEW claims it will turn waste into digital gold, by mining the top 20 cryptocurrencies, while making a positive contribution to the environment.
The company said electricity is a by-product, created from processing urban waste materials and the fees derived from its waste processing business offset all of the operational costs of running its processing plants, essentially making the electricity free.
The two power plants generate 10 megawatts per hour which will power the cryptocurrency mining operation. The company said it is capable of supporting up to 360 billion gigahashes per hour in mining capacity. This activity is used to generate wealth for /KWATT token holders, who can earn more by staking or loaning their coins, as utilized energy, for the processing of transactions in the mining farm.
Token holders will have the right to mine with 4NEW for a lifetime, without having to pay for the energy required, the company said. Any remaining surplus energy will be sold to the national grid.
4NEW also said it expects /KWATT to become a utility token, being used for global money transfer and bill payments for 4NEW services. As it evolves further, the company said it will act as a global energy index, capturing the weighted average value of electricity amongst various geographic locations.
“4NEW is setting up a new electricity generating industrial plant that will not just have a low impact on the environment, but will actually contribute to the plus side of the ledger, helping the environment by converting city waste to energy, with no harmful pollution or residue, thanks to a closed combustion chamber,” said founder Varun Datta, in the statement.
By applying a sustainable approach to producing electricity from waste to the otherwise unsustainable practice of crypto mining, 4NEW may have found an environmentally sound formula to create value in the cryptocurrency business. Its third processing plant is due for its operational launch in 2019, and more are also planned around the world, including in the US, Puerto Rico and St. Lucia.
“We expect rapid and significant economic success, not simply because we are so sure of our business model, but because of the size of the problems we are tackling, brought about by the past failures and polluting solutions of others, Datta said. “The vision is to contribute something really valuable, not just to the blockchain space, but to the world. And they all share it.”
As the company’s fundraising continues, purchases made before July 20 receive a 30 percent bonus, which then drops to 25 percent until the ICO ends on August 10, when all unsold tokens will be burned. The KWATT coin will then be listed on the HtiBTC, Exrates and HotBit exchanges
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents – July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power – July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review – July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank – July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI – July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants – July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank – July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading – July 11, 2018
- Loom’s Popular dApps Enable Ethereum Development at Scale – July 11, 2018
- Crypto Theft Surges in 2018. This Company Offers a Solution – July 11, 2018
- Token Gesture by SEC Director William Hinman – July 10, 2018
- Block.One Brings in Jefferies Asia Head to Lead EOS VC – July 9, 2018
- IBM Wins Billion Dollar Blockchain Contract in Australia – July 9, 2018
- Blockchain Banking Milestone: European Banks Complete First Live Trades on We.Trade Platform – July 5, 2018
- Tax Authorities Unite to Target Cryptocurrency Crime – July 5, 2018
- Globacap Raising Capital on Own Platform with UK FCA Backing – July 5, 2018
- Blockchain Close to Breakout Moment: Deloitte Survey – July 5, 2018
- Survey Finds Turkey is Europe’s Most Crypto-Friendly Nation – July 4, 2018
- Music Streamer Choon Starts Public Sale After Banking $2 Million – July 4, 2018
- Russian Military Sets Up Blockchain Research Lab – July 3, 2018
- TrustLogics Recruitment Platform Wins Stevie Award – July 3, 2018
- IP Gold Ditches Ethereum for NEM Blockchain – July 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Lead $12 Million Funding Round for StartUp Access Platform Republic – July 2, 2018
- Are Digital IDs the Start of a Blockchain-Based Service Economy for the Cayman Islands? – July 2, 2018
- QRL Launches Quantum Resistant Blockchain – June 29, 2018
- User Friendly Exchange Targets US Crypto Newbies – June 29, 2018
- Dash Doc Highlights Digital Currency Solution for Zimbabwe – June 28, 2018
- Virtual Twin Method Wins EU Anti Counterfeit Challenge – June 27, 2018
- Stanford University Takes Blockchain Leap – June 27, 2018
- Dutch Airport Adds Bitcoin ATM for Euro Exchange – June 26, 2018
- SharesPost Gets $15 Million to Expand Security Token Trading – June 25, 2018
- Eidoo Unveils Crypto Sculpture in London – June 25, 2018
- Canada: a Blockchain Testing Ground for Cannabis Cultivators – June 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Inks Deal with Mayo Clinic to Advance Health Tech – June 21, 2018
- TrustToken Raises $20 Million with Major VC Support – June 21, 2018
- Adents Adds Microsoft AI to NovaTrack Supply Platform – June 20, 2018
- AlphaPoint Raises $15 Million with Galaxy Ventures Funding – June 19, 2018
- Fractional Shares in Robinhood, Ripple and Didi Available From Swarm Fund – June 19, 2018
- WAVES Tokens Take a Ride on OKEX Exchange – June 18, 2018
- Europe’s Leading Parking Services Network Launches ICO – June 18, 2018
- Hdac Scores with World Cup TV Blockchain Advert – June 15, 2018
- Swedish Sports Brand Puts Same-Sex Marriage on the Blockchain – June 15, 2018
- Whale Hunter Spiking Links with AntShares Founder’s Latest Blockchain, Nebulas – June 15, 2018
- Swytch Pilots Clean Energy Rewards in Germany, Launches ICO – June 14, 2018
- Coinbase Opens Index Fund for Investments up to $20 Million – June 14, 2018
- South Africa Reserve Bank Makes Progress with Quorum Blockchain Pilot – June 12, 2018
- Wallets and Exchanges Fail Identity Check Test – June 12, 2018
- Now ‘Ask Juliet’ for Crypto Tips on TokenAI – June 11, 2018
- Iconic Warhol on Slate at Blockchain Auction – June 8, 2018
- “Quasi Unicorn” Hyperchain Seals RMB 1.5 Billion Financing – June 8, 2018